For such a small country territorially, only 92mil km2, Portugal is a nation full of great historical and cultural landmarks. Many of its cities are surrounded by medieval walls, museums, churches, palaces and castles, all with their own story to tell. But this small country also owns a great coastline, 943km (not counting the 667km of the Azores and 250km of Madeira), with beaches and islands that have already been and continue to be elected the most beautiful in the world!
Located in a privileged place, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Mediterranean Sea, the Portuguese coast is also one of the most diverse you can find. From the cold, windy waters of the Northern beaches loved by surfers, to the warm, crystal clear waters surrounded by rocky buildings and cliffs of the Algarve, loved by all!
There is no more exciting, or authentic, way to experience all these Portuguese pearls than on board a boat. Whether it's a fast speedboat, a luxurious yacht or an authentic sailing ship, a tour of the Portuguese beaches by boat is an experience not to be missed! Call your friends for a day of adventure or plan an unforgettable family trip, Click&Boat is here to help every step of the way!
The type of boat you should rent will depend on several factors such as the size of your group, your budget and your personal preferences. If you are going for a weekend, we recommend a smaller RIB or motorboat to allow you to explore easily. If you are opting for a longer stay, we recommend a catamaran or a yacht for more comfort and amenities on board. Please find below the list of capacities and cabins of our boats in Portugal:
• Sailboat Minimum capacity 2 and maximum capacity 8
• Motorboat Minimum capacity 2 and maximum capacity 14
• RIB Minimum capacity 2 and maximum capacity 12
• Catamaran Minimum capacity 2 and maximum capacity 18
• Gulet Minimum capacity 2 and maximum capacity 50
• Yacht Minimum capacity and maximum capacity 8
• Sailboat Minimum cabin space 2 and maximum cabin space 4
• Motorboat Minimum cabin space 2 and maximum cabin space 3
• RIB Cabins not available for this type of boat
• Catamaran Minimum cabin space 2 and maximum cabin space 3
• Gulet Minimum cabin space 2 and maximum cabin space 2
• Yacht Minimum cabin space and maximum cabin space 4
If you’re considering renting a boat in Punta Ala, the price will differ depending on the time of year, the number of passengers on board, and the size and type of boat you choose. Of course, additional amenities or services could also affect the price, such as having a skipper on board. Below are the starting prices of a private charter in Punta Ala by boat type.
Sailboat: Set sail in style from $61 per day.
RIB: Explore hidden gems from $214 per day
Motorboat: Enjoy a smooth ride on the waves from $168 per day
Yacht: Enjoy a luxurious sail from $695 per day
Gulet: A traditional sailing experience from $513 per day
Catamaran: Explore waters in comfort from $320 per day
Houseboat: Feel at home on the waters from $165 per day
The cost of your boat rental itself is included in the initial price. Fuel is calculated at the end of your journey and will be based on how far you have travelled and the type of boat you have rented. Additional extras such as crew, a skipper and water sports equipment are sometimes included in the cost but it is important to check this with the boat owner prior to your trip.
You can sail a yacht charter in Portugal year-round but for the warmest weather, the summer months are the most popular. However, beware that the summer months are a high tourist season in Portugal which means that it will be crowded, and the prices of boats will be their most expensive. For lower prices, fewer crowds and good weather consider a hire in May or September.
Portugal offers a multitude of excellent ports and marinas that cater to boating enthusiasts from around the world. Among the top five in the country are Vilamoura Marina, Cascais Marina, Lagos Marina, Portimão Marina, and Porto Marina. Vilamoura Marina, located in the Algarve region, boasts a vibrant atmosphere with numerous restaurants, shops, and entertainment options. Cascais Marina, just a short distance from Lisbon, offers luxurious facilities, including a yacht club and spa. Lagos Marina, also in the Algarve, provides a picturesque setting and is surrounded by beautiful beaches. Portimão Marina, known for its modern infrastructure, hosts various events and is in close proximity to the Portimão Airport. Lastly, Porto Marina, situated in the stunning city of Porto, offers easy access to the Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport. These ports and marinas provide an array of amenities such as fuel stations, boat repair services, and well-equipped berths, ensuring a memorable experience for sailors and yacht owners visiting Portugal.
• Starting with Porto, Portugal's undefeated city, a place where nature and the city blend to create unbelievable landscapes. When you hire a boat in Porto, the possibilities are endless. How about a boat trip on the Douro River, to admire all the historical monuments of Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia, all while tasting wonderful (and authentic!) Port wine? Following along the river, spend some time exploring the region's beaches, such as the famous Matosinhos Beach, a good ask for surf lovers!
• Also for surf lovers, Praia do Norte in Nazaré is another must-see beach!
• Another absolutely amazing place for your boat hire is Cascais! With some of the most beautiful beaches in the country, such as Praia da Conceição and Praia da Rainha, which, with their sandy beaches, calm waters and accessibility are perfect for that family fun, or Praia do Guincho, also famous for its waves!
• The capital, Lisbon, city of poets and capital of Lusitanian culture, holds some of the most beautiful monuments in the country. We suggest you rent a boat to make the famous trip along the Tagus River, contemplate some of the historical buildings such as the Tower of Belem and the Jeronimos Monastery, and the best part, watch the famous Lisbon sunset from the deck of your own boat!
• One of the most sought after destinations for a good boat trip is Setúbal, a place of endless natural beauty, neighbouring the Arrábida Natural Park. A beach not to be missed in Setúbal is Galapinhos Beach, with its calm and clear waters and white sand, this paradise is the perfect place to meet with the family, sunbathe, go diving or snorkeling and much more! Also visit Portinho da Arrábida and the Troia Peninsula, to complete your trip through this little corner of the Portuguese coast.
• Finally we arrive in the Algarve, the Portuguese paradise, with the Mediterranean climate, crystal clear waters, cliffs and rock formations as far as the eye can see! This region has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and there is no more unique or exciting way to see them all than by boat. The Algarve deserves its own list of must-see places, so let's take a look at some of our favourites:
• Faro → the Algarve capital holds for sailors the picturesque Lighthouse Beach, home to the Cape Santa Maria Lighthouse, an important landmark for Portuguese navigation.
• Lagos → home to Praia da Dona Ana and Praia do Camilo, two of the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen, with their clear waters and beaches set back from the rocks or cliffs, are wonderful for a day of great peace and quiet, for snorkelling/snorkelling and getting to know the local fauna. Ponte da Piedade is also a place worth a visit, probably the best in Lagos to watch the sunset from your own boat!
• Portimão reserves for boaters Praia da Rocha, with its calm sea, large sandy beach and the beautiful Santa Catarina Fortress.
• Lagoa, often confused with Lagos, presents its own Algarve paradises. Starting with the emblematic Marinha Beach, represented by deep blue waters and golden rock formations, absolutely unmissable. Benagil Beach, and especially the Algar de Benagil - a cave only accessible by sea, are high on our travel list for their enchanting natural beauty.
• Albufeira is another unmissable stop, a place for the adventurous who love water sports and fun for the whole family! Praia da Galé, Praia da Falésia and Praia dos Alemães are among our most popular. They maintain the paradisiacal appearance of the Algarve with their crystal clear waters and beautiful cliffs and rocks, but seem to add even more in terms of fun!
• Tavira holds some lesser known secrets, such as Praia do Barril and Praia das Cabanas, good places for those who like surfing and at the same time, the tranquility of less busy beaches.
• The Ria Formosa is a natural paque known for its unique fauna and flora ( the largest colony of seahorses in the world is there!) and its internal lagoons and beaches that stretch over 60km and several municipalities. Renting a boat to know the Ria Formosa allows you to reach places only accessible by boat, contemplate the seabirds of the region in a total immersion in the Algarve nature.
• Finally, we could not fail to talk about the Portuguese autonomous regions, Azores and Madeira, absolutely unexplored paradises of the Portuguese coast. A boat hire in Funchal allows you to tour the entire island, leaving you to choose the itinerary and time of each stop, to get to know all the beaches and monuments on your travel list, especially the unmissable Porto Santo beach.
If you have a boat licence we have plenty of options for a bareboat rental in Portugal. However, for avid sailors and novice sailors alike we always recommend hiring a skippered vessel for maximum security and tranquillity while sailing. Skippers will handle the logistics such as manoeuvring the vessel and docking, and they will make sure you see everything on your travel itinerary, and more. Skippers are usually locals who know the area very well and can give you insider tips to ensure you make the most of your holiday in Portugal. For a more customised experience on board, have a skipper on board your yacht charter!
The average cost of renting a boat in Portugal in the high season is around $1,256 per day, while in the low season it is around $1,047 per day.
The price of a skipper varies depending on the destination and the owner of the boat. In Portugal, you can expect to pay an average of $153 per day for a skipper.
The price of a boat rental in Portugal typically includes amenities such as Bathing, Sounder, GPS etc.
In Portugal you can rent for example a Motorboat, Sailboat or even a Catamaran.
Boats in Portugal have an average of 2 cabins. If you travel with a large group, you can book boats with up to 6 cabins.
Find a boat (motor or sail) in our top destinations